When the Canon EOS M50 was first introduced in February it appeared fairly intriguing. So we went over to the Canon stand throughout The Images Present to test it out and have a little bit of a chat. The EOS M50 is primarily aimed toward rookies on the lookout for a easy digital camera with highly effective options. Nevertheless it’s additionally best as a second, smaller digital camera for these taking pictures Canon DSLRs.
The specs of the digital camera are very spectacular, and regardless of not being the highest mirrorless mannequin in Canon’s lineup, it accommodates some options and tech that the upper fashions don’t. However that is basically the primary of the following era of Canon mirrorless. We are able to probably anticipate 4K, twin pixel autofocus and all the remainder of it coming to the opposite merchandise within the lineup as every is due for substitute.
- Sensor: 22.3mm x 14.9mm APS-C CMOS
- Decision: 25.8 whole, 24.1 efficient
- Low-pass filter: Constructed-in
- Picture processor: DIGIC 8
- Lens mount: EF-M (EF and EF-S through EF-EOS M adapter)
- Stabilisation: In-camera digital, suitable with IS lenses
- Shutter: 30-1/4000 sec (1/third cease increments), bulb, digital shutter
- Flash sync: 1/200
- Flash compatibility: Canon E-EEL II with EX collection Speedlights, wi-fi multi-flash help
- Focusing kind: Twin Pixel CMOS AF, Part Detection. Distinction detection throughout 4K Film Servo AF
- AF factors: 143/99 factors relying on lens
- AF modes: One-Shot AF and Servo AF
- AF Monitoring: Face + Monitoring, Eye AF obtainable in One Shot AF
- Handbook Focus: Focus Peaking obtainable, and 5x or 10x focus zoom
- ISO Vary: 100-6400 or 100-25600 prolonged in 1/third cease increments (51200 expanded)
- Steady Capturing: One Shot AF 10fps for as much as 33 frames (jpg) and 10 frames (uncooked). Servo AF 7.4fps for as much as 47 frames (jpg).
- Video: 4K 23.97/25fps. 1080p 59.94/50/29.97/25/24fps fps. 720p 119.9/100/59.94/50fps
- Dimensions: 116.3 x 88.1 x 58.7mmm (4.6 x 3.5 x 2.3″)
- Weight: 387g (13.7oz) together with battery & reminiscence card
Although I’m not a Canon shooter, this digital camera was notably fascinating to me as I’ve been taking a look at one thing new for vlogging. I believed that this may be the digital camera that might lastly make me spend money on fashionable Canon techniques. The EOS M50 virtually ticks each single field for my very own wants. Virtually.
That 2.5x crop when taking pictures 4K video is the deal breaker for me. APS-C sensors already crop somewhat an excessive amount of as it’s. While you’re vlogging, with a 1.5x or 1.6x crop, you want a focal size of round 15mm to have the ability to get an honest view when handholding your digital camera whereas speaking to it. With a 2.5x crop, you’d want nearer to an 8mm lens to get the identical discipline of view. If they’ll repair that in a future mirrorless launch, and nonetheless give us the microphone socket, flippy out LCD and 4K video, that digital camera would virtually actually find yourself on my buying listing if nothing else comes out within the meantime.
Apart from that, although, it’s an excellent little digital camera to carry and use. It feels good and strong whereas nonetheless small and light-weight. The controls are all straightforward to entry and intuitive, and the picture & video high quality I noticed popping out of it in my temporary time with it appeared fairly superb.
Take a look at a number of the different issues we noticed throughout The Images Present…